Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Who Are You?

So, about 3 1/2 years ago I went through this "self realization" training. It was pretty involved and I could probably start a whole new blog dedicated to that topic alone, BUT there was one thing we did in the training that I found to be particularly profound and meaningful in my life.

We were asked to sit down and write out a list of a bunch of positive attributes we saw in people around us and positive attributes we wanted to have. I wrote out a bunch of things I admired about Jason, my mom and dad, best friends and other people I was going through the training with. After this, we were told to pick out three or four of those attributes that we especially wanted to have, or that were particularly attractive to us. After that, the trainer explained to us that these three or four traits are in fact "WHO WE REALLY ARE", but we just haven't realized it yet.

At that moment I broke down crying. I realized in that instant that what my trainer was saying was true. I looked at the attributes I had chosen and my entire life was a culmination of actions based upon my either trying to find out who I really was. And finally I knew.

So, for all of you out there reading my blog right now, I am going to tell you who I really am. And whenever I am sad, lonely, hurt, beating myself up for doing something I know I am better than, or feel like someone has wronged me, I look in the mirror and I ask myself, "Who are you?" And the I say to myself, "I am a beautiful, honest, trusting, inspiring woman of light".

Now, I urge you all to sit down and find out who you are. Ask yourself, "Who am I?" And I know a lot of you are used to saying I am a Son or Daughter of God and that is great, but I am looking for more here. Pick out some qualities or traits that you can live by. Believe me, when push comes to shove, this one simple sentence can mean so much.

All, often times the world unrightly tells us who we are based on un attainable measurements. Or they ask us who we are hoping to put doubt and fear into our minds and hearts. Especially in this time of uncertainty with social pressure to be perfect physically, financially and even emotionally it is more important now than ever to find out and hold on to who we really are. Hold onto it and don't let go.

One of my favorite quotes is from Gandhi:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our light shine, we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

In health and happiness,

AJ

6 comments:

Carrie Anne said...

you are so cool! i hope i get to meet you someday!!!! this is such an awesome post!!! as i read i thought about how since i have had my children i feel so different than i was in high school, college, my mission...and i wonder sometimes, who am i now because i feel so different! i will take your challenge & get back to you...thanks for the inspiration! i am sure you have some really incredible experiences from your life...so awesome!

Jess said...

What a great post?! Thank you for taking the time to write that out!

I have been on my journey of self-realization and healing for about two years now and still have quite a way to go. But, I'm well on my way and I'm not turning back. :)

Sarah Hull said...

I am happy gal that loves her life and wants to make sure that her love of life is passed down to her children.

great blog. it was neat to reflect on what you wrote. thank you.

Kellie said...

My cousin Sarah referred my to your blog and I'm SO glad she did! You are an inspiration! I love your tips and more importantly your passion. I am going to take some time to really think about these things. Hope you don't mind me stopping by. My husband and I also have a weightloss blog. We're all in it together!

Dane and Natalie said...

I randomly found your blog on Carrie Anne's who is a friend of a friend of mine. I am bloging about my weight loss journey as well. Mine is not as insightful and helpful to others as much as a way to record for myself. But I wanted to thank you for writing stuff like this. It is so true that losing weight (for me, at least) is a whole body and soul transformation. I have learned things I never knew and found strength where I didn't know I had it. Thanks again for your inspiring words. They help this totally sucky (but also good) process make sense!

Stef said...

I found your blog through my cousins blog and a friend of hers, you are so on the right path. We meet with a life coach who recently had us write a personal mission statement, it's funny how similar yours is to mine, "I am an authentic, inspiring, powerful woman. I live my life in gratitude!" Thanks for sharing. I just started my weight loss journey as well, stefs journey dot blogspot dot com.